Sunday 22 November 2009

Children in Need Charity Twitter Auction

All children are beautiful and photographing them enjoying themselves and having fun is fantastic! I love doing children's lifestyle portrait sessions - the images I get are always very natural. Kids are full of great expressions and are perfect subjects.

This weekend started with BBC Television's "Children in Need". Being primarily a family photographer, it was only right that Lesley Wood Photography should support such a worthy cause.

Having over 600 followers on Twitter, I decided to use my network to reach as many people as possible in a short time. At 9am on Children in Need Friday, I began a "Twitter Auction" and invited people to bid for a Children's Lifestyle portrait session. The prize on offer was 1/2 day photography session at a location of the winner's choice within 50 miles of my studio in Cheshire.

Also included was a Viewing Experience at my studio a week after the shoot, where the winner's family would view all their pictures on a big screen - complete with music, candlelight and refreshments. They could then choose their favourite photograph to be framed in a quality bespoke crafted frame.

After 12 hours of bidding from all over the North West of England, the auction reached its peak within the last hour. Twitter gives you the facility to send secret direct messages, and these rained in as well as public replies. No doubt they were all spurred on by some of the heart-wrenching stories shown on the Children in Need programme.

At 9pm, the highest, enormously generous winning bid was £180 and it came from David Cartlidge (@TheChaosCompany). Every single penny of this amount will be donated to Children in Need and if David decides to buy any more products, all profits from the additional sale will also be donated.

I'm really excited about photographing David's children some time in late summer of next year, probably at a beach. I'm looking forward to showing you all some of the pictures.

I'd like to thank everyone who took part in the auction. I'm sure you'll all agree that it is money going to a fabulous charity, and for me it will be a total pleasure to do.

Congratulations and thank you to David!


No comments:

Post a Comment